News:

Welcome to the new forum!

Main Menu

Gilbert Chief takes a knee

Started by Matthew, Jun 18, 2020, 03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irb

Shameful.

I'm not an expert in law as it relates to municipal police vs. county sheriffs, but I wonder if this is emblematic of the latter being elected and the former appointed? There's a lot of talk about doing away with police unions which I find interesting, but I also wonder if the JBS has a position on the appointment of police chiefs? I ask because there have been a number of times when I'd have liked to vote one of them out.

The JBS website has some interesting information on SYLP of course, especially versus federalizing them. The Citizen Review Board idea sounds like it came right out of the bloody French Revolution. Does the JBS and/or someone with more experience working with municipal police have a case to make for or against electing chiefs?

Matthew

I am sure that JBS is against non elected Chiefs with the lack of accountability that comes with it. I guess pressure on the city council and Mayor could effect change.

irb

The information on the JBS site does point out that local police departments are concerned with, and loyal to, their city and not the county or the Federal Government. I'm not aware of any municipality that elects their Chiefs of Police though. Again, this could be my ignorance.